Test Pit 17: Ascott Green
31st May 2014
By Martin Cuthbert
Test Pit 17 was located on the south side of Leighton Road and the east side of Well Lane. A number of Archaeological finds have been identified within close proximity to the site. An assemblage of Roman pottery was discovered c.800m north of the site. Approximately 70m northwest a road widening scheme in 1954 destroyed a low mound, believed to be a Roman or Saxon burial mound or meeting place. Just 150m southwest metal detecting has recovered a number of post medieval metal finds and a large amount of musket balls.
This property is some distance from the medieval core of the village, so we weren’t expecting to find Saxon or Medieval finds, but perhaps evidence of prehistoric or Roman activity.
A thin topsoil layer overlay a modern footpath and made ground layer associated with the house this in turn overlay the natural. The only finds were modern in date and did not predate the current property.
A huge thank you to all our volunteers, Pauline from LBDAHS and Andy and family for allowing us to dig a hole in their garden.